Sunday 12 September 2010

12,000 Figure Adler Borodino

Over the last decade I have steadily amassed Adler 6mm figures with a view to having a look at what kind of a display a large scale battle using these smaller figures would create. The project is nearing completion with about 1,100 more infantry to be added.


 I haven't actaully counted the figures, but I know that there are about 250 battalions of infantry (36 or 32 figures per battalion), which at present is about 8,500. I kinow there are around 2,000 cavalry, plus there are artillery crew etc. In the end I think the total number of figures will be in and around 12,000. They are based at a ratio of 1:20, so approximately 240,000 soldiers are represented, which isn't that far off the numbers involved.


 This is not the proper 6mm set up as regards terrain, and in fact I set the figures out on the 28mm table so that a comparison can be made on the Flickr page which I have linked in below.





It is surprising how detailed these Adlers are given their size, some gamers often refer to the fact that they have large heads, but to me this adds character, and when viewed en masse, I believe they present a true spectacle.

Even with this number of figures on the main 18 x 6 foot table. it would be very esy to play a game with open flanks. I was in fact amazed at how much room there was on the table.


This project has really been a labour of love. I have often raised the issue of what rule set to use on various forums, but I am still not sure.

For those who would like to see more pictures follow this link to my Flickr page:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/52061917@N02/?saved=1

Next weekend I am due to take part in a gigantic refight of Anzio using Rapid Fire. Hopefully I will be able to post a few pictures of it in due course.

2 comments:

  1. Amazing. 6mm or not, this is an incredible achievement.

    Kevin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job! I'm a big fan of 6mm. (Is that an oxymoron?).

    Ted

    ReplyDelete